back to careers General Manager (GM) / Chief Operating Officer (COO)
HMD Trucking Inc. is looking to hire an ambitious General Manager (GM) / Chief Operating Officer (COO) for its startup flatbed division, HMD LLC, parented by a well-established freight company whose operations are sustained by a 300 power unit fleet. This role will require the position holder to leverage his/her logistics expertise and channels to generate performance while growing the team and meeting the company's budgetary and expansion objectives through managing all aspects of a high-volume supply chain operation.
The General Manager will demonstrate strategic and tactical leadership in all facets of the business including but not limited to client acquisition and portfolio management, operational performance, continuous process improvement, team development, and overall P&L management. It is essential that applicants are bottom-line focused, exhibit the highest level of ethical standards and possess a track record of progressive success and a hands-on approach in performance-based environments, insuring the company meets or exceeds the shareholders’ expectations. This position sits in our Gary IN office and includes travel to execute business.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and owns the new flatbed division business and budgetary planning and execution in alignment with enterprise goal setting strategies while implementing the new flatbed division’s talent acquisition strategy to create and maintain high performing teams;
- Ensures an appropriate level of resources, both human and capital, are available and effectively and efficiently utilized within budgeting limits;
- Understands market conditions impacting business performance and financials by conducting thorough business analyses and leverages market opportunities and trends accordingly to generate performance;
- Advocates continuous improvement in both strategic and tactical realms based on market research and competitor analysis so as to formulate effective marketing strategies;
- Understands, implements, and champions existing and new technologies in line with enterprise technology strategy;
- Analyzes business information/reports/KPIs to ensure highest level of effectiveness and to use it as a communication tool to report on the company developments;
- Reviews and evaluates company’s P&L performance and determines short term goals according to any budgetary shortfalls;
- Develops and implements branding, promotion and other marketing materials;
- Oversees the execution and periodically reviews and updates service contracts with all clients;
- Provides on-the-ground support for the commercial team by facilitating the optimization of sales channels, enabling new market penetration, and participating by assisting in sale presentations for promotion of the company;
- Ensures the effective execution of all aspects of daily operations activities and other activities in which the company is engaged;
- Ensures regulatory reporting and other standard operating procedures (SOPs) are developed, implemented and followed in the actual performance of daily activities.
- Coordinates resourcefully with Human Resources management to onboard exceptional talent for open positions;
- Understands local talent landscape, forecasts hiring needs and develops succession plans for key roles;
- Takes an active leadership role in employee development and performance management influencing by empowering team members to reach their full potential by effectively coaching, training and mentoring all subordinate staff in an effort to improve their own leadership and communication skills and performance;
- Ensures company policies are communicated, administered and enforced (i.e. accounting, operational, regulatory, administrative and risk management);
- Ensures the team members have proper access to the necessary tools to perform their assigned duties and that the tools are routinely accounted for and adequately maintained;
- Meets regularly with staff to share ideas, experiences and resources.
Development of people:
- Develops logistics market understanding, identifies the target industry, develops pipe lines and prospect customer relations, offers customized logistics solutions and brings the prospect clients on board to achieve the company’s growth expansion;
- Develops written documentation of Business Process Mapping and its Key Performance Indicators necessary for designing financial strategies aligned with company’s revenue forecasting.
Organization planning and development:
- Develops and regularly evaluates business proposal as necessary for providing customized solutions to target clients;
- Stays abreast of logistics market, emerging technology changes and opportunities to plan for the future growth through formal or informal study, reading business and professional publications, networking and participating in professional events for a better company market positioning;
- Develops strategic and tactical plans for long-term and strategic alliance development.
Project planning and analysis:
- Bachelor's of Science degree in logistics, transportation, international or business preferred (significant industry/domain expertise may be substituted for degree);
- Minimum 5 years of experience in people management & development;
- Well-rounded domestic/international freight forwarding/carrier management level experience with 5-10 years hands-on sales, operations, and financial management experience;
- Demonstrated ability in achieving measurable success with budgetary commitments and P&L (profit and loss) management;
- Strong communication and presentation skills in both verbal and written English required;
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and contract negotiation skills;
- Strong sense of business judgment and decision making;
- Analytical mind and commercially astute;
- Robust fiscal accountability;
- Detailed knowledge of EBITA margins and its role in company's profitability;
- Expertise in venture capital financing and merger and acquisition;
- Successful and proven revenue producing track record;
- Resourceful and deadline driven;
- Versatile and team player.
In our goal to attract talent, we offer competitive compensation plan including employment agreements, equity plans, performance compensation plans, and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements. An excellent benefit package includes full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance, disability and the opportunity to participate in a company incentive plan. We recognize time away from work is a key component of a balanced work/life success, therefore we offer a comprehensive time off plan including paid vacation and company holidays.
- Submit a cover letter in addition to the resume;
- Provide 3 verifiable references;
- Provide KPI reports with trackable previous accomplishments;
- Be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug screen, and background check.
Successful candidates will:
HMD LLC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.