back to careers Director of Operations / Dispatch Planner
Technology embracing start up company, HMD LLC is committed to use the most advanced industry softwares and technological advancements in pushing the boundaries of how to do business. In this endeavor, we are looking to hire a Director of Operations / Dispatch Planner, whose key role is successful execution and adjustments of the strategic planning of operations, recommending the most efficient means of transportation to meet company’s goals and safety standards at all levels. You will report to the GM/COO while the job can be conducted remotely or from our office in Gary IN.
As the Director of Operations with a true desire to improve in industry`s latest technological softwares, you’ll be the master strategist of shipping. You will identify the optimal way of combining multiple shippers’ freight, and use analytics to creatively route and mix shipments to find the most efficient solutions and reduce landed costs. As a Dispatch Planner, you will play a critical role planning and supervising the execution of flatbed truckload freight, while providing options and communicating solutions in a timely manner. You will communicate daily with internal teams, junior and senior dispatchers, solve challenging problems, and provide an overall exceptional customer experience.
- Organize, plan and resource Operations department day-to-day work priorities, including but not limited to scheduling and tracking work assignments, in accordance to the companies goals and projects needs;
- Via proper technological implementation and utilization, ensure and supervise efficient pick-up/delivery requests are dispatched promptly and professionally to drivers/vendors;
- Supervise dispatching team in properly managing the volume of calls to drivers and/or problems with routes, and adjust or advise Operations where appropriate by establishing and maintaining a professional working relationship with field drivers;
- Ensure senior and junior dispatcher exhibit professionalism by monitoring the quality of communication between dispatchers and drivers/field management;
- Overview proper handling of collision and incident overflow, and fleet calls as needed;
- Analyse distribution data, key planning parameters, suggest improvements based on key performance indicators (KPI) and utilizing technology, analytics, and creative thinking to optimize, route, and plan consolidation freight in a dynamic environment of supply and demand;
- Achieve Cost of Sales (COS) reduction targets and Productivity Targets;
- Prepare and deliver to senior decision makers, accurate and timely logistic reports;
- Ensure dispatch office policy and standard operating procedure manual is updated, supervise, train and motivate a team of dispatchers and drivers while always embracing our commitment to Safety First!
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience of 5 years in dispatching on American market with proved extensive knowledge of trucking industry across USA;
- 3 years of experience in a supervisory role in transportation and operations management with an emphasis on capacity planning, real-time decision-making, and dispatching fleet and drivers, flatbed industry is a plus;
- Broad expertise in industry technology, tech savvy with a sincere desire to excel in adopting and implementing the latest technological innovations in the field;
- Solid problem solving and strategic thinking abilities;
- Firm negotiation and organizational skills, personnel management, and interpersonal skills;
- Strong leadership ability including motivating, coaching, developing, and disciplining employees;
- Ability to analyze statistical information and make decisions based on the information provided;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent active listening skills with the ability to exercise considerable diplomacy, judgment, and discretion in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with internal and external customers and company departments;
- Results driven and attention to detail;
- An ability to work independently relying on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish tasks/projects;
- Thorough knowledge of United States geography.
In our goal to attract talent, we offer competitive compensation plan including employment agreements, equity plans, performance compensation plans, and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements. An excellent benefit package includes full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), a 401(k) plan, life insurance, disability and the opportunity to participate in the company’s incentive plan. We recognize time away from work is a key component of a balanced work/life success, therefore we offer a comprehensive time off plan including paid vacation and company holidays.
- Submit a cover letter in addition to the resume;
- Provide 3 verifiable references;
- Provide KPI reports with trackable previous accomplishments;
- Be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug screen, and background check.
Successful candidates will:
HMD LLC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.